I'm a private pilot with my own plane, a Piper Cherokee Warrior. Most conversations with me eventually end up on the subject of why the other person should also learn how to fly. There's an old joke: "How do you know if you have a pilot at your party?" Answer: "Don't worry, he'll tell you."
Most visitors to hallert.net come to view various projectsof mine, and I've listed some of them to the left. My personal favorite so far has been 2006's Powerloader costume, (the walking forklift from the movie Aliens).
My interests include electronics, ballistics, motorcycle riding, building unusual devices, and harnessing the very powers of space and time, mua-ha-ha-ha.
- 1/7/10 - Whoops! I slipped in the shower and somehow forgot to update my site for like two years.
- 5/28/08 - Switching to a new website layout. Never a dull moment.
- 5/25/08 - Whoops! Haven't updated stuff in a while. I just got back from a trip to Egypt where I, among other things, snuck onto the Giza Plateau in the middle of the night and climbed the Great Pyramid. Dodging guards who have machine guns has never been so much fun!
- 11/01/07 - Wifey and I went on a big trip in our plane. We flew down through the bay area, stopped in Hanford,CA because of weather, then continued to Los Angeles the next morning. A couple days later, we flew to Las Vegas, then a bit after that flew back home via Death Valley, Hawthorne,NV, Lake Tahoe, and Klamath.
- 10/31/07 - Finished the costume, it turned out great! But, being a poor planner, I seem to have missed most of the opportunities to take good photos of it. I'll see if I can scrape some together from 'ze archives.
- 10/09/07 - Starting this year's costume at the last minute. Will it blend be finished in time? Ask the cowboy riding the big lizard.
- 7/21/07 - A new method for cooking steak I learned from a friend. Instructions and photos.
- 5/10/07 - Wardriving is old hat. Warflying is the new hotness.
- 5/07/07 - Flew the plane to Columbia, CA for Canards De Mayo. It was a great trip, and a lot of fun, even if my airplane has the engine on the wrong end for this crowd.
- 5/02/07 - I bought a plane! It's a 1975 Piper Cherokee Warrior. Here are some pics from my purchase flight and my first trip home. (Update: As of 5/29/2008, I've put 140 hours on it. It's been fantastic.)
- 3/9/07 - Could it be the future of portable audio entertainment? Introducing the Audio Sombrero! Surround sound with style.
- 10/31/06 - The costume turned out good, check out the page for pictures.
- 8/31/06 - Time to build a new Halloween costume. This year, I'm doing a PowerLoader from Aliens.
- 1/10/06 - I'm going to build a plane. Here's my page with more info.
- 8/22/05 - My long awaited treatise on receipt checking at the door. By 'long awaited', I mean of course 'self important'.
- 8/19/05 - Started work on my Halloween costume. This year, I'll be (and be riding) an APU from The Matrix.
- 5/19/05 Adventures in Coffee - I just discovered coffee... and learned to respect it as an enemy as well.
- 4/30/05 Some photo
albums - I've recently uploaded some photos. These
go back a few months.
A training flight back in January - Flying over LAX, having the time of my life.
Flying to Mojave, CA - My last, pre-pilot solo XC
Last pre-exam solo
Marcus's 3rd birthday
Flying over our house in Oregon - In a sporty C-152. BTW, I got my pilots license. Tremble before me, for I fly a plane that weighs less then a Geo Metro at speeds approaching... that of a Geo Metro.
- 2/10/05 - Holy crap, I'm on slashdot! - The tank cam page was just posted on http://slashdot.org. I wonder if the web host will survive it? I was planning on celebrating my son Alex's first birthday tomorrow, maybe I'll be shopping for a new hosting provider instead... Update: Gate.com was great, no complaints about the level of service they provided during this and other spikes.
- 12/31/04 - I put a camera on my R/C tank. In progress.
- Every few days, we try to put up a new video of some wacky or cute thing the kids do. The videos are made with our Canon S400, a very good little camera.
- Begin: A Tactical Starship Simulation - This is a shareware game released about 15 years ago that I play. It's a fast, fun little game that you can play without investing hours.
- My Mech
Costume - I built a neat
costume for Halloween 2004, check it out.
- Our old apartment- We bought an apartment building and took some pictures of some of the changes we made to the unit we moved into. Nothing too terribly interesting, probably, just something we put up for our family. Here's Stage2 of our move. We've since moved, and this page is retained only because this, and the 'fixing the floor' page seem to get a lot of google traffic.
- Here's our brave fixing the floor of our bathroom. Interestingly enough, it seems to be the highest trafficked page here because of the disgustingly moldy floor we found under the linoleum.
- The Pizza Place - At the end of 2003 we bought a small pizza franchise. Here are some pictures. Hey, don't you feel... hungry? Update: We've sold the restaurants. Wanna know how to make a small fortune in food service? Start with a larger fortune.
- Future War - The future of battlefield power plants, my opinion.